Le Petit Depart is a fabulous cycle event which will take place on Sunday 2nd June 2024 in North Yorkshire.
It showcases the very best cycling the Yorkshire Dales has to offer and follows much of the 2014 Tour de France, most Tour de Yorkshire route and the 2019 World Championship road race route.
The Results of the LPD 2023 can be downloaded here.
The lucky winner this year!
Everyone who enters will be included in the prize draw for a chance to win a brand new Trek Domane AL bike from Chevin Cycles. A prize worth £550!
Available in both a unisex fit (Red) or Ladies fit (Black/Pink). The prize draw will take place at the event so sign up today for your chance to win!
The winner will then chose the bike and have it fitted at one of the Chevin Cycles stores.
Sue Ryder Manorlands Hospice
This year Sue Ryder Manorlands Hospice is our designated charity and we have raised over £500 from rider donations towards the charity. Thank you!
They provide expert palliative care, advice and support for local people who are living with life-limiting conditions, as well as supporting their families. This specialist care and support are free to the users but Manorlands needs to raise £2.1 million per year, to keep this essential provision in our local area.
- donate an amount when you enter – chose the £5 charity contribution entry option ;
- download the fundraising pack and sponsor forms;
- set up a Just Giving webpage and fundraise online: http://www.justgiving.com/fundraising-page/creation/?cid=105857&eid=5144142
Starting from Skipton, North Yorkshire, Le Petit Depart offers 2 fantastic routes to cater for all abilities. There is an 80 mile ride, and a 38 mile ride.
The 80 Miler
The original 80 mile sportive route follows much of the Tour de France stage 1 taking you over 3 climbs and along 6 dales.
From the head of Wharfedale the route goes over Kidstones, the first official climb of the 2014 Tour de France. It continues along the Stage 1 route to Hawes, returning to Skipton via the impressive Ribblehead viaduct, the quaint market town of Settle and the lovely Malhamdale.
The 38 Miler
The 38 mile Scenic route follows the Grand Depart route up and back down the magnificent Upper Wharfedale valley, stretching right up into the heart of the Yorkshire Dales. The route returns via the stunning Bolton Abbey.
“This ride is a regular favourite for our Club rides, it’s relatively flat and takes you up and back one of the most beautiful Yorkshire dales” – Skipton Cycling Club Chair.
Bruce Dinsmore Team Challenge
The Bruce Dinsmore Team Challenge is in memory of Bruce, our well loved and original Event Organiser. He was instrumental in creating Le Petit Depart as a keen club rider and the Sports Development Officer for the local council. He was especially keen on having a team challenge to foster the teamwork and camaraderie that makes team cycling such a great thing. Bruce died in 2021 and this trophy is a tribute to him.
The idea (and Bruces’ original idea) is to attract families and friends to enter as teams to try to win the Team Challenge trophy. Team members can choose which route to ride and don’t have to ride the same route as each other. The trophy is awarded to the team with the best average speed. We have had over 20 teams taking part on past events. There is a £10 discount for team entry.
Teams for Le Petit Depart must have 5 members only, and all 5 members must finish the sportive.
To enter as a team, click on the British Cycling entry link and go through the entry form as a team, or 5 individuals. When everyone in the team has entered, one person (the “Team Leader”) should email the event coordinator (Mark Wilkins – firstname.lastname@example.org) with the names of all 5 people in the team, and a team name. Once checked and confirmed, the 5 entrants will then be marked with your chosen team name and the Team Leader will be sent your £10 team discount.
The event starts and finishes at the Craven Cattle Marts, Gargrave Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 1UD. We think works pretty well for hosting a sportive!
We open up at 7am to park and sign on with the 80 milers starting from 8am and then the 38 mile riders starting at 9am.
“I would like to say thanks for organising a brilliant event, in some of the best countryside and scenery in the UK. I’ve cycled in a lot of Sportives and I can honestly say; Le Petite Depart was the best for food stops (pies and bacon rolls wow) organisation and friendly hospitality and even more food at the end.”
- Ensure you register early for this event using the British Cycling event entry system.
- The event is fully insured via the comprehensive British Cycling event insurance (see here).
- Prize drawn for the Chevin Cycles Bike will take place on the day of the event. Only pre-entered riders eligible for this. On the day entries may not be included in the prize draw
- Chip timing, rider bike number, 3 feed stops, fully waymarked, marshals at key junctions, post ride meal and event buff along with super friendly Skipton Cycle Club volunteers!
- There will be cut offs for the 80 miler so our super volunteers don’t miss out post event curry night out!
- You must be 16 or over to ride the 80mile Sportive ride. Under 18’s on this ride must ride with a parent or guardian.
- Under 16’s are free to enter the 38 mile Scenic ride with their parent or guardian. All under 16’s must have 1 to 1 supervision on the ride and must have successfully completed their Bikeability level 2.
- Standard entry price of £35 for the 80 miler and £25 for the 38mile (+£1 British Cycling Admin fee). There is an “early bird” discount for each ride until the end of January which gives £5 off.
- Team entry also available for 5 riders to challenge themselves for the Bruce Dinsmore Team Challenge Trophy – average team speed.
- The event is not for profit and half of the surplus raised will be used by Skipton Cycling Club to develop and support its new junior cycle section as a Tour de France legacy project. We have raised over £13,000 over the past 6 years.
- A full rider road book will be sent to you in May. This will give you full details about the event and on the day information. The past Rider Road Book can be read here.
- Mechanical support at start.
Event Organiser: Mark Wilkins 07824 431 217.
Please visit our social media pages: